Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Leaving on a jet plane . . .

This past Friday night Gus took his first flight to Detroit so that he could attend our friends Maneesha and Damian's wedding. As anyone who has seen Meet the Parents knows you can't say bomb on an airplane, but if somebody were to have asked me how I felt about our first flight with Guster, I would have said that I was nervous, and that I felt like I was traveling with a bomb. I had visions in my head of me bouncing up and down through the aisle with a screaming G-Man in my arms, with weary travelers trying to melt our faces with their death stares. But it turns out that my worry was much ado about nothing.

Our flight out was at 9:40 pm on Friday night, so Gus took a light nap at Grandma and Grandpa Adriaens' before we packed up and headed to the airport. Because we've traveled without him in the past, it seemed like Gus was sizing up the situation, trying to guess where Mom and Dad were going this time. When we started putting him in the car seat, Gus got very excited -- wherever we were going, he was going too. The excitement continued once we made it to the airport. Gus liked looking out the window at all the planes, fuel trucks, and baggage carts on the tarmac, and smiled at the other travelers. Gus was just beaming as we boarded the plane. Fortunately the flight out was fairly empty and we had an entire row to ourselves. Mom started feeding Gus just before takeoff, and the little man slept like an angel all the way to Detroit.

Once we hit the ground we were pretty much where we needed to be as we were staying at the Westin at DTW airport. Guster stayed sleeping as we brought him up to the room and set up the pack 'n play. We all hit the rack at a little after midnight.

Here is Gustafer at the airport:





2 comments:

Granny A said...

I know with Gus' cold, nights have been rough at your house, but hitting the "rack" in lieu of the more traditional "sack" sounds sad. I hope nights soon takes a less torturous turn.

(Can't help myself, Kevin. Loved the story and pictures.)

Grandma U said...

Glad to hear that your travel to Detroit was enjoyable. Since Gus traveled so easy and you may need to submit an application for a Frequent Flyer number for the G-Man.

We’re sure that he charmed everyone that met him.